Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Nerd Problems, Fruit Dress Desires, and Collegiate Tragedy.

   Sometimes, I am so smart it's embarrassing.
Just kidding. That is mostly not true... but knowledge has never made me feel more stupid than it did today. I went to a study session (cue gasps from the audience) for one of my tests on Wednesday. Before you start believing that everything you know about the world is wrong, don't worry. I can explain. I was not actually there to study; I am trying to make better friends with the other art students, because they are generally full-time double majors and have no desire to watch any football game ever. Since JT is taking a semester off, those types of people are especially helpful to have around when you want a free second ticket to the big game. And so, I found myself going to an extra group study sesh in the oldest classroom in the world. I honestly think that room was built long before the college, probably as an outhouse, and they just fabricated the rest of the Liberal Arts Building around it. Anyways. So this girl walks in and sits next to me, and I see that her shirt says I <3 EZRA in some old school script. I was like, hey, I <3 Ezra Pound too! I had found my first friendship victim.
   Being the smooth sailor that I am not, I had some forced comment like, "Nice shirt, did you make it?" (You're not a genuine art student if you don't make your own clothes, I have learned.) She laughed and said "No, I got it online. You a fan?" Fully believing that we were beginning an amicable conversation about a famous American expatriate and poet, I responded that yes, I was a fan, and that if I had a coffee table and ever needed to make a coffee table conversation piece, the first thing I would want would be to make a book of his poems with my own illustrations. I know. Don't laugh. I was serious, I am just that lame. Yet somehow, I was still taken aback by the dead, empty, awkward gaze I got in return. It was a long, uncomfortable silence until she said, "What? You mean Ezra from Pretty Little Liars?"
   It was my turn to be confused. What in the Hohlenstein-Stadel was Pretty Little Liars? Well, it was not some underground indie-folk band. It was not the subject of an obscure but famous painting. It was a show that appears to be for skanky teen girls on ABC Family.
I will probably not be making art student friends anytime soon.
But guess what was awesome about today? Maternity Clothes! Hey. Where are you going? No really, come back and finish reading, it's cool, okay?

Asian Triplets!
So check it out. As your fetus makes the jump from being grapefruit to pinapple or watermelon-sized, this origami dress opens up to drape that baby bump in a fitting (watch out, double entendre) watermelon design.
I desire to have it.
Finally, this brings us to the Collegiate Tragedy. I know you are all itching to scroll down and find out what it is. Well scroll back up, it's here: I have no one to go to the Tulsa game with. J-frubs is working, and most of our friends are couples, which would put me in an undesirable third wheel position. All my single ladies are working, football haters, or suffering from strep or flu. I think this is Obnug seeking retribution on me for staying away so far this week. Now, since I can't get the game on TV, I will have no other choice than to be at the mercy of piecing the game together from comments on Obnug.com's Game Thread. It will be especially difficult since it's a home game and any Nuggie worth their homerism is going to be in attendance. But it will be okay. Don't cry for me, Argentina. Someday I will get to go to a game...someday. And it could always be worse. I could be a BYU student who dropped a couple hundred on a sports pass, just to find out that Jake Heaps is a Ute.

1 comment:

  1. I'm such a nerd that when you said Ezra I immediately thought of Ezra from Assassins Creed. I got really excited and then I felt really lame. Haha. Oh Melissa, I love you.

    ReplyDelete