Friday, August 5, 2011

I can spontaneously grow people. What's your superpower?

The definition of intense is our life, especially lately. This first (almost) year of marriage has brought us some of the sweetest, most hilarious, and funnest adventures. There were nerf gun fights, tickle fights, wardrobe fights, and haiku battles. There were the dark moments, like when our car broke down, my bike broke down, and JT's bike got stolen in the same week. Newlywedity also contained the biggest surprises, like when I discovered that husbands poop. What a day! But NOTHiNG (except maybe 5-8 more years of marriage and life) could have prepared me for this week.

First, I broke my hand in a freak gasoline fight. Just kidding. I was bike texting on Babe the Blue Bike Ox. Babe took a spill, broke AGAIN, and I took an anger management class from a wall. Yeah mom, I know...won't happen again. at least not until my hand heals. So I show up to my hand surgery on Wednesday, and I can already tell something is not normal. Bonnie, the incompetent nurse who had already mistaken my nerve for a blood vessel, pulled a chair up to my bedside and closed both doors, a luxury I wasn't granted when they asked me to change into their classy breeze-able gowns. Those really make my booty pop, straight into the open air even. Bonnie's hushed matronly tones told me there was good news and bad news. The bad: I wouldn't be put under. The good: it's because I'm PREGNANT. WHaaaaa...t? Impossible. I've been paying $20 a month to make that impossible. I made her run the test again. It just showed that I was even more pregnant. I sent for JT and we took our dear time soaking it in. After a painful, other-wordly surgery, the surgeon came to tell us that I was a bad@$$ and a beast (call me Pregasus! the White Winged Birthasaur!) Oh, and also my hand was going to be ok, congrats on the baby, all that biz.

So that's how it happened. Two months ago I was still a teenager and in less than a year I'll be a mom. I have so many questions. How far along am I? When am I due? When will I my child move? Those first two questions will probably be answered by The Baby Place next week. The last one...well, I can only hope it moves right after graduation. Honestly, I thought I could wait forever to start droppin babes like David drops psalms. I mean, in like a banana and out like a pineapple? Scary. But now that it's for real, I feel like I already can't wait another day, much less months. I want to feel it, to make it hats and shirts with vandal jokes on it, to come up with names, and see its little alien newborn face. I know JT is going to be a great father, and while he understands the difficulties ahead, I can tell he is every bit as excited. We're 90% certain it will be born with a Bronco jersey on. So feel free to leave your baby name suggestions and/or witticisms in the comments below, or vote on the gender/current name considerations on the right. And don't forget to wish us luck! We'll need it.

2 comments:

  1. I think you should name her Grace Carrol. Of course you did find out you were pregnant after texting on a bike, and then punching a wall. One can only hope that by naming her Grace, that she'll have more of that than her momma! And Carrol, well, I can't even imagine Great Grandma Hansen doing either of those things!Ggood luck!--I follow directions well don't I?
    Oh and we're happy and excited for you!
    Love, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha in my defense, it was an exceptionally frustrating day. But we can officially say LESSON LEARNED forever. Also I like grace the best too, but I would definitely be a disappointment if it's a girl and I don't keep the Carrol thing going :) glad to know you guys blog, btw. we'll see if this works!

    ReplyDelete