Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Prepare yourselves...the backlog is coming!

I feel a little bit like Kenneth on 30 Rock after he returned from his missed day of work and Jenna insists he was there the whole time (she mistook him for a recycling bin with a wig in it). I could probably have just posted a gif of a small woodland creature being dramatic and people would never realize I had taken a break from blogging...
...But I won't. Hailey's roommates are counting on me. 
(Insert .gif of my own dramatic face staring into their stalker eyes here)

Just kidding, Hailey's Roommates. 
So I was saying, I sort of took a break from everything...I think I wore the same shirt like three days in a row at one point. Pregnancy insomnia will do that to you. I do take comfort in knowing that even though a newborn won't let me sleep any easier, at least lactation will force me to change my shirts regularly- provided that I wear any at all to begin with. But I digress.
February definitely worked out better than January, which would be forever known as The Pregnancy Dark Ages if it weren't for the fact that none shall ever make mention of it again. FridayTines day was excellent. We did our class at Boise Art Glass and it was as shiny and swirly as I could have ever imagined. I made a functional red bowl. JT made a BSU...thing. A suncatcher? A crystal ball for his sports brackets? You decide. It's pretty cool though, he has skills. When the sun hits it on our coffee table just right, it makes our living room look like a collegiate rave. Or a Bronco Nation roller disco. 
At any rate, it was some good clean dangerous fun. It was also occasionally awkward... to this day I am not sure if I should feel degraded that the instructor told me I had to get on my knees to blow my glass pipe. I try not to think about it too much. Afterward, we took a short V-day break to watch my baby brother open his mission call. He is going to Guadalajara, Mexico, and he will probably be the first American missionary who will come home having gained weight there. Fiesta Guadalajara was only his favorite restaurant since idk, like birth. (He later upgraded to Chapala's, but that is beside the point) I'm just saying, the kid can put away mexican food like nobody's business. I am super jealous of how much closer he will get to his culture than the rest of us will. And while I personally wouldn't have wanted to bust out the cash to pick up my older bro who served in New Jersey and vacation by visiting Princeton and a lighthouse,  Mexico is a whole different story. (No offense, J-man) 
 I wonder what cruises are departing from Mexico in June 2014? And yeah, I know his focus is serving the Lord, but that don't mean I can't get a couple ounces of that good mexican vanilla in my mailbox for Christmas- can I get an Amen Amén?? He's going to be an awesome missionary there...I mean come on, it's in his blood! Makes me wish I had kept my language lab appointments more frequently/at all.
So that's that news. The rest of the weekend was awesome. I loved yurting. It felt so much more posh than camping. It was an adventure to watch the Other Coles handle a freshly potty-trained two year old, but I don't see why it wouldn't be worth a shot with a mostly immobile baby in diapers. Something about that wood stove and weatherproof shelter really took the edge off, plus it was beautiful out there- we are totally sold on going back for our birthdays or maybe New Year's. It was a blast hanging out with the other Sound Wave Music couples; they're always a good time.




That was yurting. Enjoy those pregnant pictures, for they are rare. I can't imagine what could happen in a person's life that would make them look worse in photographs than they would if they were pregnant, except for maybe having just given birth/been birthed. The good news is, since pregnancy made my eyes change, everything I see is so blurry that I can't tell how wonky my skin tone got or how messed up my hair is. People always want thick hair until they see me picking the teeth of my hairdresser's comb out of mine. I'm just glad I didn't have to pay to replace the comb this time.
The next week was BSU Men's Basketball Senior Night, vs. the then first-seeded San Diego State Aztecs. We had lost to them in the final moments at our first meeting, and it looked like we would get our own revenge on Montezuma this time. The Corral did an awesome job of getting the crowd hyped with another student section 'flash mob' (I hate calling it that, it sounds so lame. It's not a flash mob if you've been there the whole time, come on... every other school just calls it knowing the chants.)  and a costume contest. JT went as a Bronco Ninja, his first ever sewing project. Get it? Cause we're invisible on the blue? I can't find the photo of us anywhere, but I have one of my outfit on my phone.
I am basically just impressed that I fit in that hoop. For being a last-minute thing, we got a lot of requests for pictures. People thought we were hilarious. At one point, JT was on the bigscreen for the traditional dance contest just breakin it down, and he got a significant amount of applause and cheering. It looked SO FUNNY. He had such incredible moves...I couldn't even dance with him because I was laughing so hard. I wish you could see it. Maybe I will make a bet with him that the next time he loses to me in Words With Friends, which will probably be in like, say, an hour, that he has to make a dance video Napoleon Dynamite style in his ninja suit. I've got a pretty good chance; I've only beat him 8 times in the past week. Gotta hand it to him though, the man just doesn't give up! 
I can't even beat my wife  at SMACK TALK in Words with Friends


pic.twitter.com/1sFvWDsn 
Gold star if you caught the Arrested Development reference.
In his defense, he did manage to get ahead by 90 points once. Some crazy 78 point word, what the freak. But don't worry, I took care of business with a really clutch placement of 'UT' at the end. haha. That is the kind of high-quality word choice you get when you have the strict no-cheating policy our house does. 

Anyways. Marching onward. Get it? Because it's March? This month has been all about the baby. We set up our crib, a super masculine man-cage that we were blessed to receive from my grandparents. It's one of those slick types that converts to a toddler bed and then a day bed and then a full bed.
Part of me really wants to put a bat logo on it so we can announce in a superhero voice "Come, baby! To the BatCrib!" at bedtime. Only hopefully he will not be called Baby. Hopefully he will have a real name by then. 

Baby names are so difficult. They shouldn't be, because I'm pretty sure you can name your kid just about anything these days... I was looking through the census baby names from 2010 and you would think it was an Ikea catalog, or someone trying to type that they're having a stroke. I saw things that can never be unseen. I'm still not used to the kitschy 'fun' names that people come up with when they are drinking the pregnancy koolaid. It's really more of a hormonal mixed cocktail, but still. Apparently Nivea is all the rage. It stems from Neveah, which is Heaven backwards. So yeah, it's a misspelling of the opposite of Heaven. Or a brand of lotion. Perfect! Quick, someone get me a birth certificate to mar forever! As if that weren't bad enough, today JT saw that someone had legitimately named their boy Jergen. For real, what is with the lotion people?? If that's the way the baby name world is headed, I guess we'll have to call dibs on Aveeno and Burt and Shea. Feel free to take Vaseline.

Speaking of lotion, I got plenty at my baby shower Saturday. It was great. Kristin did an amazing job, just check out what she made:
I probably won't have the heart to take it apart until there is a severe diaper emergency, which isn't likely to happen anytime soon in this post-baby shower diaper economy.

IMG103.jpg
<-This isn't even all of them. These are just the ones that wouldn't fit in the baby's closet.

Did I mention that my mother-in-law was in charge of dessert?



I love chocolate mousse. It is the best. And it is even better when you don't have to waste any amount of it on the sides of a dish or spoon.
 Yo Dawg - Yo dawg i herd u like chocolate so we put chocolate in your chocolate so you can eat chocolate while you eat chocolate

It was nice to get out and remember what being social is like again; I really appreciated everyone that came. For as many people who had study groups and work and trips out of town, it's no small feat that the Utard Trifecta made it up from south of the state border just to buy me legit baby stuff and make me feel old and matronly. I was so flattered. JT loved everything we got, clothes included. This is monumental because he is the Tshirt snob of the century. You wouldn't think that, since he showed up to his Dadchelor Party with a SUCK IT UP tee he got for free, but he really is. There are so many rules about logos and slogan tees and man-approved colors that I feel like I got a Nobel Peace Prize every time something I picked out makes it past quality control. 
All in all, I'd say baby shower was a success. Once I got home, I finally started feeling like an actual mom. It's like reality has finally set in, and even though I'm still scared and apprehensive and stressed and tired, I am absolutely sure that everything will be how it's supposed to. Not easy, but right. It's not some surreal thing that's happening to me or a far-off due date anymore, and I actually feel ready for it now. Maybe that's what confidence feels like, haha. Now if we could just be fully prepared when it comes to baby necessities. I am licensed to shop, and I can't wait to finish getting everything else ready for our little peanut to make his debut to the world! Are crib sheets hard to sew? Should we get the sling or the backpack style baby carrier? How many burp cloths does a baby really need?
I guess we'll find out.
Happy Spring, everybody. If you made it through this whole catch-up post, you get a cyber-five and a dedicated reader award.

No comments:

Post a Comment